Sunday 9 March 2008

psychotic characters

Psychology fascinates me, not enough so I wanna get a degree in it, but in a book store, I can spend hours in the pop psychology department. And I usually end up buying something. As a writer people's behaviour fascinates me. Not sure when this interest began, but I guess my mother's thirteen years working with Hull's most horrific pedophiles sparked it. What do you think?

There's nothing better than writing a psycho/sociopathic character into a novel because of their weirdness. I love it because it's alien to me. I'm a good person. I'm good to others for no reason than it's my natural impulse to be good. If someone I work with mentions their birthday, I'll get 'em a card. (but then I feel bad for the tree)

I'm a strong believer in monsters existing in human form & that good-natured folk's greatest weakness is believing all people are good deep down inside. Deep down inside some people are bad. Funnily, I wondered about this stuff as a child & as an adult, the more I learn, the more sure I am that there are different types of human beings. Those with a part of the brain for conscience & empathy & those without. Nothing's black & white so I concede, sure, there are those with a conscience who are cruel regardless; they're monsters too.

Name-calling time!

I'm certain my father has a personality disorder. Granted, no one should go around calling people names undiagnosed, especially when professionals can disagree with each others diagnoses, but he's my father & having being abused by him I feel fine in diagnosing him with definite leanings toward narcissistic & anxiety disorders. Frasier Crane once said: "Knowledge is power." But I also find knowledge to be healing. Knowing that my father's paranoid, angry, frightening & downright insane behaviour is nothing to do with me but all to do with himself & his own disorder heals me greatly. But it also sparked a fascination with personality disorders, of which I was always interested but now I like the characters in my books to be diseased of the mind somehow.

Other freaks in my life as a child growing up? Cruel baby-sitter. Neurotic aunt. Emotionally crippled Nana (cruel to my mummy in front of me). I could go on, but I won't in this entry.

So this entry has all been about me really - my favourite subject! One of. Have to say, this blog is gonna be a cool place for me to spout off all my opinions on stuff. And no I am not gonna use huge, big words. What is the point when smaller ones will do? Though I luv my English language & my big words I truly do, but am not pretentious...which reminds me...why is it considered pretentious to use technical terminology, archaic words and words with multiple syllables? Kisses

No comments: